Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Lifetime Minneapolis Race Report 2016

Happy hump day!!

My race report is a little late, but we all know how life gets in the way sometimes. Plus, I am tapering this week to get ready for Ironman 70.3 in Racine, so I haven't been as focused as I usually am anyways. Believe everything they say about taper weeks, it's all true. I am irritable, antsy, and I want to eat all the food. I can't believe I married a guy who is so calm during the shit storm that is tapering. Reason #3,999,997 why I love him.
Anyways, let's get back to the Lifetime Tri this last Saturday. Which for the record, I had to convince my coach to let me sign up for. After the trainwreck that was Liberty, I knew I needed a confidence booster. Mike warned me that redemption races sometimes can backfire, but if you know me, you know that I was going to get my redemption one way or another. I like to say I am "strong willed", my husband would call me more "stubborn and uncompromising". 



I paid my entry fee for the Sprint distance race, and I was set. A Sprint was a walk in the park compared to most of my training distances I had been doing, so that put my mind at ease for starters. While I knew I could do the distance, I had a PR in mind. The last 2 years I had come within minutes of the podium, and I wanted a spot up there this year. My bike has been improving, my swim is faster, and I know I can pull a solid run split out. 

I got to Lake Nokomis that morning, and it was so amazing to be back at that race. It's a course I am super comfortable with, and the energy there is unbelievable. I got to chatting with several people in transition who had either never done a triathlon, or this was one of their firsts, and that was one of my favorite parts of the day. Only 2 short years ago, I was that same person. Nervous, excited, and so incredibly overwhelmed by the amount of racers at this tri. This year was different. It's amazing how going into a race knowing that this is merely a warm up for something bigger really is freeing. Of course I wanted a PR, but my eye is on Racine. 
Weather was wonderful Saturday. 70's-80's and sunny. Lake Nokomis was nice and clear, for the time being. Considering that my wave was at 9:19 and after about 20 different waves, the water was not going to stay that way. 

I got into the water and pushed my way through the masses of people in the first 200 yards. It really didn't feel too clogged this year, but that's what happens when you are one of the last waves. 
I made it out of the water in 14 or so minutes, but there is a relatively long run up to transition. I crossed the timing mat at 15:10. Right on point with the time I was aiming for. 


Got onto the bike, and ripped out onto the streets of Minneapolis. Now, we all know that West River Parkway is a bit bumpy. And by that, I mean, littered with tire popping, handlebar flipping holes in the road. For someone like me who can barely walk up the stairs without tripping, this was going to be a challenge. 
I kept my head up, pushed hard, and got through the course. Despite the section of Old Timey cobblestone that had made it's way onto one of the tight corners they had placed on the course. Note to the girl ahead of me who SLAMMED on her breaks as we approached said corner, you better count your lucky stars that I didn't ram into the back of you and your bike. I hit my brakes and almost went ass over tea kettle to avoid that disaster. Lifetime is an awesome race, but the course is full of new and novice triathletes. Which I both commend and loathe. I just wish that everyone knew to ride right if you are slower. But it's all good. We made it out to bike another day.

The run around Nokomis is always flat, a little shady, and very scenic. However, when you are going balls to the wall out of T2 and only want to get to that finish line, it's hard to stop and smell the flowers. I hit my 7:30 pace out of the gate and felt great. Until mile 1.60. I know this because I looked at my Garmin the exact same time that my ribcage felt like it was imploding from the inside. Fuck. This is what a side stitch feels like. I know it sounds dumb, but I had never had one before. It was debilitating. I walked for a brief moment, and tried to regain composure. I knew losing precious seconds was not going to bode well for me in my age group. I started running again, and it came back. But I pressed on. I spent most of the last 1.4 miles doing that super loud, aggressive breathing in and out through my mouth thing. Got a few looks, and a few who looked concerned for my general well being. But I kept trucking along. Screw pride, I had a medal to win. 
I crossed the finish line in 1:30. I was 2 minutes off of my goal of 1:28, but I knew once I got that side ache that I was going to lose time. All I could do now was wait for splits to come out. 

I went and got my post race "food" and found my hubby and coach. Also, a little side note to the Lifetime Tri  race coordinators, mango fruit strips and blueberry granola are the worst things to cross a finish line and see. I was hoping for hot dogs, or even a sandwich. Hell, even bread with peanut butter would have been a step up! If I spend $130 on a race, I would hope for some sort of substance. Even with a chicken company as a sponsor, I saw no protein anywhere. 
As hangry as I was, I made my way to the timing tent. The rolling screen showed my name, and the most beautiful thing on the planet was right next to it. 3rd in my AG!!!! I did it. After 3 years, I became a podium finisher at one of the largest races in MN. Redemption. I did what I came to do. 



I could now spend my taper week a little happier. Now came time to prepare for the long road ahead at Racine on July 16th. It will be hard. I will hurt. But I am going to finish. Even if I have to crawl across that last timing mat, I will finish.

Race hard and I will see you after Racine!!




No comments:

Post a Comment